It’s always a GREAT idea to come to the Winter Farmers Market by Grow Oak Ridge, but Opening Day is especially fun! Here are 5 great reasons to be there:
- One-of-a-Kind Gifts – You’ll find handmade, beautiful gifts at the market this month, as our crafters are out in full force! Check out the beautiful wreaths and winter berry arrangements of Wilson Family Farm and Alive and Digginit will bring, plus baskets, clothing, and rugs from a new vendor, Dream Weaver.
- Free Kids Club – We always have a free activity for children at the market, but this week art teacher and city councilman Jim Dodson is bringing his paints and brushes, and they’re going to create “Oak Ridge Rocks,” sponsored by Willow Ridge Garden Center!
- Fresh Savings – We have a brand new program this year at the market, that doubles a person’s SNAP/EBT benefits up to $20 for fresh fruits and veggies. Scan your card at the Welcome Desk, and you’ll get tokens to spend in the market. And since they NEVER expire, Opening Day is a great day to visit!
- Fabulous Bakers – I don’t know about you, but the holiday season isn’t right without lots of baked goodies! We have FOUR vendors with baked goods, everything from whole grains to delectable sweets: VGs Bakery, Colvin Family Farms, and new vendors, Paysan Bread and Delights by Dana Mitchell.
- And the best reason of all…. THE FARMERS! We have 15 agricultural vendors this year, and they’re bringing everything from fresh green produce, and pasture-raised meats, to eggs, honey, flowers, and even locally raised tilapia. Buying from them keeps strengthens the local food economy. It’s better for the environment than shipping food thousands of miles, and yes, they take care to raise their animals ethically and treat their land with respect. Plus, they’re just great folks, and you’ll enjoy meeting them.
So come to the market on Opening Day, Dec. 2, on Saturdays this winter. Indoors, at St. Mary’s School Gym, 323 Vermont Ave., Oak Ridge. Closed Dec. 23 & 30.